Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The real story of you - God's track record

my story and God

So much of coming into your purpose is uncovering the stories that you have been telling yourself about who you are.  By stories, I mean those myths in your mind that make you feel that for some reason God is holding back all His promises -- specifically from you.

Months ago, I was encouraging a friend about following his dreams and taking hold of what he was created to do. After all my exhortation, he says well, what about you?

Instantly, I go into my diatribe about figuring out what to do with my life and how I don't have this and don't have that.

He says, "well what do you need to figure out?"

"Well, I mean I wish that I could just know what was going to happen," I said, already impatient with him questioning me.

"But, what do you mean? What is it that you want that you don't already have?"

For one moment, I paused and thought to myself, yes, what is it that I don't already have. For that moment I had clarity -- yes, I thought, yes, I have peace, love, joy, freedom, security, abundance!

But, in the next moment my faith was replaced with my stubborn persistence to hold on to my story. "But, I mean I wish I could just know for sure, like for real, that everything is going to be okay."

Fortunately, my friend was just as stubborn and persistent. "Don't you already know? You can be and have anything you desire. Frankly, I can't see it any other way. Look at your record. It's who you are."

So, let me remind you of God's track record.

What we say:
  • Something bad will happen
  • I will be hurt
  • I'm not good enough
  • It's my fault 
  • I can't do it
  • I don't deserve it
  • It will not last  
  • I'm not worthy
  • I have no talents
  • I am alone
  • I am broken
  • I am ashamed
  • I can't ignore my past
  • No one loves me

What God says:
In all things, He works for my good (Romans 8:28)
No weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17)
I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)
I am holy and blameless in his sight (Ephesians 1:4)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)
I am blessed (Deuteronomy 28)
Goodness will follow me all the days of my life (Psalm 23:6)
I am His masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10)
I have unique  gifts (Romans 12:6-8)
He will be with me always (Romans 8:38-39; Matthew 28:20 )
I am healed (Isaiah 53:5)
I will never be put to shame (Joel 2:27)
I am a new creature; old things are passed away (2 Corinthians 5:17)
I am complete love itself  (1 John 4: 7-18)

Dear Lord, I pray that we will let go of our false stories and take on Your truths. We set the record straight! We know that our true story is still in motion and walk in confidence that He who began a good work in us will carry it to completion! Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment